Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Poto Tutorial: Selective Color

Hi!! Ashley here...
Today I am going to show you how to use selective coloring in your photos. Many photographers feel this effect is "Out of Style" or a Cop Out", but in reality this is one of the most sought after photo effects. Most mothers love this type of photo, (I know when I took my kids to Sears I ALWAYS bought the selective color photos.)and I personally like this effect myself. I use it a lot with client photos as well as my own family photos. So today I am going to show you how I like to do selective coloring using an action from the Coffee Shop Blog. If you have never been to Rita's blog you are truly missing out. She is amazing!! First, start with an image that you would like in black and white. then find something in the photo that you would like to leave in color. In this particular photo of my son I want his shirt to stay in color, and the rest in B&W.

The first thing I do to any photo in PSE is adjust the levels. I adjust them to taste, and every photo is different so my numbers always change.

I love this action!! it is one of my many  favorites form Rita. She has wonderfull stuff on her blog so feel free to go and check her out!

Now that your photo is in B&W you need to color what you want to color. In this case Parker's shirt. find the B&W layer(It should be the bottom layer) And click the white box to the side of the photo. MAKE SURE you click this box or you will brush black all over your photo.


Now that the layer mask is selected, it is time to choose your brush. I always use a soft air brush, but it is personal preference. You can adjust the size of you brush using the bracket keys. 
Use the brush to brush what you would like colored. when you are finished brushing you can adjust the opacity of the layer to create a "faded look" if you like.
Now flatten and save your photo. This action also allows you to adjust the contrast and add a vignette if you like. If you would rather not have the vignette then just turn the layer off.


Here is what my finished photo looks like.

I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial, and I look forward to sharing many more. If there is something specific you would like to see please feel free to comment!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...