Saturday, October 2, 2010

Pork Chop Spanish Rice

Pesty Melanie here!  Have you been following Ramona at the DSA design contest?  Her fourth challenge kit, E.T. Highway, reminded me a bit of home.  I don't know any aliens, but I am from the desert where you could find a cactus on every street and mexican food was a regular part of everyone's diet.  I didn't find this recipe until after I had moved away from the Arizona desert, but the yummy spanish rice is like comfort food to me.  This is an absolute favorite meal in my family, and I hope you like it, too.  I usually make more than 4 pork chops since there are 7 in my family, and I've found I like to use crushed or diced tomatoes instead of breaking up whole tomatoes.  Other than that, I just follow the recipe and enjoy! :)


I made this card 4x6 so it's easy to print for just a few cents, but here's the recipe in case you can't see the card.

Pork Chop Spanish Rice
4 pork chops, fat trimmed off
1 Tb oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 c long grain rice
1/2 c chopped onions
1/4 c chopped green peppers
1 can (1 lb 4 oz) can whole tomatoes
5 green pepper rings
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese

In a large Dutch oven, slowly brown chops in heated oil. Drain off excess oil. Sprinkle chops with salt, chili powder, and black pepper. Add rice, onions, and chopped green pepper. Pour in tomatoes with liquid, breaking tomatoes into pieces with wooden spoon. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 35-40 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add pepper rings and cook 2 minutes longer or until rice and meat are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...