Friday, January 7, 2011

Time in TV mode


I'm probably really dating myself with this picture, but as a young girl in the 70's, I lived for afternoons with this family!  I wanted to be just like Marsha, and according to my younger sister, there were times when I would sit and brush my hair and say, "you'll never be as beautiful as me."  Of course, I have no memory of this!  I grew up thinking that all familes were like this, with feel good lessons at the end of the day and a mom and dad who were always there to listen.  I imagined having my own family just like the Brady's!

As the years have flown by, between the moment my first baby was placed in my arms until today where that same wee baby now stands several inches taller than me and talks of girls and future dreams, I feel cheated.  See, the one thing about family life that the Brady's never taught me was that life moves all too fast.  Children don't stay in this t.v. frozen time zone where season after season you see them-basically looking the same.  I wasn't prepared for how quickly my babies would turn into toddlers and head off to Kindergarten and lose their first tooth and be ready to enter high school!  Sometimes, I wish I could just warp time to right now, this moment and not have anything change.  We could still work through challenges and learn new things, but my oldest would stay a teenager and my youngest would stay the cute, chubby, sweet boy he is and all my children in between would make me smile every day, like they do now.

But I know that this is not reality and that I can't sneak off into TV land, but perhaps, through good record keeping, lots of pictures and writing down my thoughts, I can capture just a little of this daily magic and hold onto it for many, many years to come.




jklj

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...