Saturday, September 11, 2010

Soup's On!

Pesty Melanie here, and I grew up in Arizona.  Also, I don't like soup.  Now you may not think those two things are connected, and neither did I.  I just thought I wasn't a soup person, but then I moved to Utah where we have actual seasons and it's freeeezing cold for months and months.  In Arizona we have two seasons: scorching and pleasant - sometimes during "pleasant" it even gets a bit chilly.  Scorching lasts for most of the year, and when others are shoveling snow, we're basking in our pleasant season. 

Somehow that Arizona girl who hated soup became this nutty Utah mom who actually knows what "soup weather" is and looks forward to it.  I have a whole cookbook full of soup recipes that I'm dying to try, so I'm excited that it's finally September, which means it's almost fall, which means the weather will start getting colder, which means we'll need some tasty soup to warm us up on those chilly nights.  This one will definitely be on the soup menu.  It's a vegetable chicken noodle soup, and oh my is it yummy.  I like to use dark meat for extra flavor. 

Here's a recipe card I made with Ramona's Fall Brilliance freebie at DSA and the add-on you can find at Brownie Scraps.  So cute!! 

You can print this out as a 4x6 card, or read the recipe right here.  Either way, enjoy!! :)

Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup
1 c chopped onions
1 c chopped carrots
1 c chopped celery
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp olive oil
¼ c flour
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp poultry seasoning
6 c reduced sodium chicken broth
4 c cubed peeled potatoes
1 tsp salt
2 c cubed cooked chicken breast
2 c uncooked yolk-free wide noodles
1 c fat-free evaporated milk

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, oregano, thyme and poultry seasoning until blended; sauté one minute longer. Gradually add broth, potatoes and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the chicken and noodles; simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Reduce heat. Stir in the milk; heat through (do not boil). Makes about 2 quarts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...