Thursday, January 27, 2011

Maintenance Needed

When I got in my van tonight, this was blinking at me from the dashboard!  I am very blessed to have a brand new Toyota Sienna or Swagger Wagon as we affectionately call it!  It's only a few months old and is nearing the 5,000 mile mark.  This is a cool feature to me-the fact that my car will now tell me when to go change its oil!  This is a new treat for me!  And let me share with you why I'm so excited for it!

When I was about 20, my car engine seized up and died on the side of the road. When my dad asked me the last time I changed the oil or even checked the oil-I had no idea.  Being without a car and needing to get to work, my little brother loaned me his car.  Several months later, he happened to check the oil and it didn't even register on the dipstick. Oh, he was so mad at me.  You would think I would have learned-but no, I didn't!

Even a few years ago, I took my van in for an oil check because I realized it had been almost 2 years since the last.  The technician told me he had never seen oil that was so dirty and gummy and it was a miracle  my car was still running!  See, I never learned!  Now, I am blessed with a car that will remind me! 

But, there is more to this message than my long history of oil and cars!  Those two words got me to thinking...how often do we need this same reminder in regards to our relationships?  Do we ever take a step back and think about what needs to be done for the loved ones in our lives?  Interesting thought, isn't it? How do we maintain our friendships?  I think I probably maintain my relationships about like I did my cars, which isn't good. I get too wrapped up in my daily life and the craziness of my challenges that I forget to send a note, make a phone call, pray for a friend or just stop by!

I challenge you tonight, to take stock of those in your life you love and see what maintenance you need to do.  Don't wait until something seizes or no longer registers-do it today!  And if you scrap a layout, using those two words above (use them in any way you want) and link it in the comments here-I will give EVERYONE who does it a 75% off coupon to my store-to buy whatever you want!!  It would need to be done within the next week to qualify-but I would love to see and read your stories!
dfds

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...